Thursday, February 5, 2015

Side Quests: Grilled Pineapple

Sometimes I get a good idea out of the blue. I'll never be super creative or super talented; nor will this blog probably be read by anyone but my friends. Nevertheless, sometimes I come up with something so delicious that I wish I could have everyone try it at home. This is one such recipe. I'm putting it under Side Quests (side dishes lol, in case you haven't gotten that) but really, if you put it over fried or white rice and had another side dish I think it could be a meal. It is vegan, GF (if you use tamari), and totally delicious! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was inspired by the SUPER FANCY soy sauce that Sistor got me to make this pork belly recipe. It is the most delicious soy sauce I've ever tasted. I made tofu with tangerine sauce using it and DAMN it was good! It's very rich and not as salty, just umami galore. If you has an Asian market look for it, otherwise Sistor got it from Amazon.

Sooo good


Ingredients:
1/2 fresh ripe pineapple
3/4 c. Superior Dark Soy Sauce (or tamari for GF,or regular but booo regular)
1 t. brown sugar
1 t. mirin (rice wine)
1 t. sesame oil

Simple

Slice the pineapple into plankettes or half plankettes (both shown). It doesn't really matter what size, as long as they're flattish.The half pineapple should make 4 plankettes or 8 half p's.

P's and half p's.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a Ziploc and let marinate for 30-60 mins.

Squish it around a little

Heat a grill pan or nonstick pan on medium and spray with cooking spray- pref. grapeseed. When hot enough to sizzle, throw your pineapples on and grill until tender; flipping multiple times throughtout to caramelize the outside. You'll know they're tender when your grab them with tongs and they flop over like a- well.... nevermind. Don't use superhigh heat- sadly then the sesame oil from the marinade will burn, since it has loooow smokepoint. Just be patient with the medium ;)

Use a nonstick if you don't have grillpan

Serve atop white rice, or add to a stir fry at the end. Or just eat as is. Lol. The combo of sweet, salty, and savory is really awesome in this recipe. Try it!!!! You know ya want to.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment